Click To Zen
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Setting Your Dog up For Success

Go down

Setting Your Dog up For Success Empty Setting Your Dog up For Success

Post  Karla Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:13 pm

I feel like we need a post here so I'll give my favorite tips!

It would be great if you could train your dog in a distraction free, calm environment when you first start training a cue. For some people that just isn't possible. In my house we have 8 dogs and a toddler. There is no such thing as quiet. However, I have learned some great things in this chaos and my dogs have learned many behaviors that are both useful and fun.

One of the first things I learned is to wait until I have my dog's attention before giving a cue. If he is distracted, I'm only setting him up to fail.

One of the other things I have learned along the way is always work when they're hungry. I think this goes without saying but I thought I'd mention it anyways. If your dog just ate their meal, they probably don't want too hard to get more food, especially if it is low value.

Don't be afraid to go back to an earlier step if the dog isn't offering any more steps in the right direction. If you go too long without rewarding, they'll loose interest and you'll probably get bored too.

Training should always be fun. Training isn't a race, so if all you can get in one session is just a small step in the right direction, take it! Don't get mad at your dog for not reading your mind.

Don't put your dog in a situation that you know they aren't ready for. If your dog is just learning to recall, don't let them off leash at the pond with tons of ducks!

No matter how good your dog's recall is, don't put your dog in a situation where there is a large risk for injury. This means don't walk your dog off leash next to a busy road or let them run loose at the train station. It's dangerous and what's the point?

Slow is fast! Rushing a dog really does set them back. If you're making progress don't get so excited that you push your dog past its limits. You won't train a reactive dog not to react to other dogs in one day.

Reward often! A rapid rate of reinforcement goes a long way, especially in distracting and distressing situations/environments.

Find what your dog really likes as a reward and use that for environments that are more distracting. Our magic treat is hot dog or liver (If you think the liver may have turned, do not smell the bag just throw it out. It is not a good idea, I know from experience.)

If your dog is afraid of something or is reactive, don't get upset or angry with them. You want understanding in these situations, your dog deserves the same.

If a person says their dog is friendly, don't take their word for it. Watch the other dog's behavior in reaction to your dog or child. Don't let your dog run up and greet any dog it wants. It's rude and potentially dangerous.

Don't be afraid to ask for help when you get stuck! Sometimes a second set of eyes is all you need. I've also learned that video taping myself while training helps me improve and also catch things that I don't see when I'm training.

When working with a reactive or fearful dog, start from a distance where they are comfortable. Train at that point and take a step forward, watch their reaction. Don't push them too far. By the way, I recently heard from someone that their dog gets excited when they see other dogs at any distance. This is unlikely, chances are the distance where they don't get excited is rather far but I'm sure he doesn't get excited when the dog is a mile away. It just takes some experimenting and a lot of room.

If you have a fearful or reactive dog, turning around and walking away quickly or running by something that scares them can be a reward. It's the basic idea of flight or fight. Turning around or running by allows the dog to flee so they don't have to 'fight'.

Reward your dog for doing good things. Instead of focusing what your dog does 'bad' think of what you would rather your dog do. Turn a problem into a goal!

But most of all, have fun! Training should be fun for both you and your dog. If it isn't, reevaluate what is going on or stop to take a break.

Feel free to correct me or add to the list!
Karla
Karla

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum